The reason I’ve been absent for so long is a simple one. I’ve been busy.
Also, my husband and I joined a local gym and got roped into personal training. It was much easier than I thought it was going to be and the price was right. We have a deal for group training (both of us at the same time) twice a week. So we set some goals and jumped right in.
Because of that I am no longer designing workouts, but have decided that I still want to share what we are doing. That way, those of you that don’t have the benefit of a personal trainer or have trouble designing effective workouts can benefit from our experiences.
I’m just going to jump right in because it seems ridiculous to catch you up on 6 weeks worth of workouts. The only thing I will say pertains to our goals…
My goals were fairly simple. Train to run a marathon in the fall without getting injured.
My husbands goals were to build some power and strength and work on agility and flexibility for his upcoming Team USA ultimate tryouts (which are in 2 weeks).
Anyway we have been doing circuit work for a couple weeks to work on strength, explosive power, endurance, and flexibility. Today’s workout was particularly tough.
7 stations, start wherever you want, 1 min at each station, 4x with 1 min rest in between:
1. step ups with 50-80 lbs (women-men weight)
2. hang cleans (these are a type of olympic lift and I recommend asking a trainer to show you how to do these properly before trying them. check out this video to get an idea.)
3. yoga ball crunches
4. kettlebell squats (touch the kettlebell to the ground each time
5. walking planks (I have called these plank pushups in the past)
6. side lunges with a 10 lb medicine ball
7. quarter mile sprint